- Ambassador of Denmark to the ROK H.E. LEHMANN Thomas Visited the TCS Office – ...
- On December 16, 2014, Ambassador H.E. LEHMANN Thomas of Denmark to the ROK visited the TCS office and had an informal discussion with Secretary-General IWATANI Shigeo. Secretary-General IWATANI explained briefly about various consultative mechanisms and ongoing projects initiated by the TCS to promote trilateral cooperation. They also exchanged views on the political dynamics and roles of various actors in the Northeast Asian region. They agreed to explore possible future collaboration among the three countries and European countries. Ambassador LEHMANN Thomas with SG IWATANI Shigeo and DSG LEE Jong-heon
- Ambassadors of Finland to CJK Paid a Courtesy Visit to the TCS – 2014.12.08
- H.E. HEIMONEN Matti, Ambassador of Finland to the ROK, H.E. GUSTAFSSON Jari, Ambassador of Finland to China, and H.E. VIRTAMO Manu, Ambassador of Finland to Japan, visited the TCS office and had a meeting with Secretary-General IWATANI Shigeo on December 8, 2014. SG IWATANI explained the functions of the TCS and recent achievements of the trilateral cooperation by highlighting the trilateral mechanism and significance of the regional cooperation in terms of economy, trade, and socio-cultural exchanges. Recognizing the growing volume and vast potential of economic cooperation among the three countries, the Ambassadors identified strengthening of people-to-people exchanges as an important measure to overcome the current political challenges the region has been facing. Also, the two sides agreed that common interests exist between the Northeast Asia and Finland and to explore future cooperation particularly in the area of environment H.E. GUSTAFSSON Jari, H.E. HEIMONEN Matti, and H.E. VIRTAMO Manu at the Meeting (left to right) Group photo of the meeting participants
- TCS Delegation Paid a Visit to Shandong Province, China – 2014.12.01-05
- From December 1 to 5, the TCS delegation, headed by the Deputy Secretary-General LEE Jong-heon paid visits to several agencies, universities, and culture sites around Shandong Province including the Provincial Government, Shandong University, Shandong Provincial Museum, Confucius Compound, Northern Sea Branch of China State Oceanic Administration (SOA), First Institute of Oceanography of SOA, Ocean University of China, and Qingdao West Coast New Economic Area. This outreach visit was aimed at building friendly ties with Shandong Province for the future trilateral cooperation. Through the entire visit, the TCS delegation raised awareness about the TCS’s activities and role, and gained a general picture of cooperation achievements made by Shandong Province with Japan and Korea in wide-ranging areas of economy, environmental protection, people-to-people exchange and culture. The personnel from each organizations in Shandong Province showed the expectations for future collaboration with the TCS in many of its trilateral activities and events. The TCS delegation expressed its intention to keep close contact with these organizations for the purpose of exploring future cooperation. Meeting with the Officials of Shandong Provincial Government Deputy Secretary-General LEE Jong-heon with Dr. LOU Hongxiang, the Vice President of Shandong University Photo with Mr. TENG Zhenguang, the Director General of the North China Sea Branch of SOA Meeting with the Personnel of the First Institute of Oceanography of SOA Photo with Dr. LI Weiran, the Vice President of Ocean University of China
- TCS delegation paid courtesy visit to Tokyo, Japan – 2014.11.25
- The Trilateral Cooperation Secretariat (TCS) delegation, headed by Secretary-General IWATANI Shigeo paid courtesy visits to Mr. FUKUDA Yasuo, Former Prime Minister of Japan; and Mr. ITO Kenichi, President of Japan Forum on International Relations (JFIR) on November 25, 2014. This time, the visit aims to 1) explore roles of think-tanks in Northeast Asia; and 2) invite Japanese dignities to TCS’ event as well as proposing its possible collaboration with other events. Meeting with Mr. FUKUDA Yasuo, Former Prime Minister of Japan Meeting with Mr. ITO Kenichi, President of JFIR
- State Secretary of Switzerland H.E. ROSSIER Yves Paid a Courtesy Visit to the TC...
- State Secretary of Switzerland ROSSIER Yves visited the TCS office and met with Secretary-General IWATANI Shigeo on December 2, 2014. H.E. REDING Jörg Alois, Ambassador of Switzerland to the ROK and Deputy Secretary-General CHEN Feng also attended the meeting. SG IWATANI introduced the recent development of trilateral cooperation and the TCS’ efforts in facilitating track II dialogue on security issues. SG IWATANI also shared his idea about confidence building measures and regional security mechanism in Northeast Asia. He expressed his hope that the TCS can play some role in this regard, particularly by introducing the experience of Europe to this region. SG IWATANI proposed to organize another trilateral track II dialogue on the sideline of the OSCE-Asian Contact Group meeting which is to be held in Seoul in June, 2015. State Secretary ROSSIER agreed that it would be helpful to exchange experiences and lessons between Europe and Asia. The current situation in Northeast Asia seems to be more complicated and difficult than Europe and how much “European Recipes” can be applied in this region still need to be further studied. He emphasized the importance of addressing historical issues in confidence building among Northeast Asian countries. He appreciated SG IWATANI’s proposal and asked the Swiss Embassy to keep in touch with the TCS. Note: Switzerland is the current chair country of OSCE (Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe). H.E. ROSSIER Yves (first from right) at the meeting Group Photo of the meeting participants
- 6th Trilateral Culture Ministers’ Meeting Held in Yokohama – 2014.11.29-30
- The 6th Trilateral Culture Ministers’ Meeting was held in Yokohama, Japan from November 29th to 30th, 2014, with the participation of Mr. SHIMOMURA Hakubun, Minister of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan, Mr. KIM Jong Deok, Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism of ROK and Mr. YANG Zhijin, Vice Minister of the Ministry of Culture. The Trilateral Cooperation Secretariat (TCS) attended the Meeting as an observer. The three Ministers reviewed the progress of the implementation measures of “Shanghai Action Plan” (2012) including East Asian Cultural Cities, Trilateral Arts Festival, and Trilateral Arts & Education Forum. The Ministers also signed “Yokohama Joint Statement of the Sixth Trilateral Culture Ministers’ Meeting” which stipulates series of decisions to further the cooperation to promote culture, arts and youth exchange, preserve cultural assets and develop cultural industry. At the press conference after the Meeting, Niigata of Japan, Qingdao of China and Cheongju of ROK were designated as 2015 East Asian Cultural Cities which will engage in vibrant cultural exchanges and programs throughout the year. The next Meeting will be convened in China, 2015 in which new action plan to enhance the trilateral cooperation in culture will be adopted. Attachment:Yokohama Joint Statement of the Sixth Trilateral Culture Ministers' Meeting(Documents in Chair Country Order)The Meeting in progress DSG CHEN Feng in the Meeting as the representative of the TCS delegation Group Photo of the Ministers Group Photo of the Ministers and Mayors of the 2015 East Asian Cultural Cities